On the first day of 1900, a Methodist Church — Smith Chapel — was established at Rockhill in honor of C.L. Smith, who donated money for the building. When the Frisco railway was built through west Collin County in 1902, the town of Prosper was established. The Chapel was relocated to the corner of First and Third Streets and, in 1924, the building burned beyond repair. That same year, materials from the old frame church were used in the concrete for a new structure, a brick church, which was completed and furnished for $22,000.
Today, our historic sanctuary remains framed by the solid oak timbers and beautiful stained glass windows that were hauled in by horse and wagon. These are testaments of remembrance to our deep roots. Also, there are records, pictures, letters, and items preserved from the first church members to present day. These are displayed in an exhibit by Prosper United Methodist Women titled “Honoring the Past, Looking Forward to the Future.” The project was completed by the Prosper United Methodist Church Preservation Project and remains on display in our west gathering hall today.
For more information, or to add to this collection, please contact Judy Rucker (972-347-2562), a member of the North Texas Conference Commission on Archives and History of the United Methodist Church.